Monday, 31 December 2012

OMAC Further Redesign

After struggling to find a design that really worked for this project I decided to carry on with the 1950's detective line of inspiration while also still trying to directly merge it with the science-fiction/comic element too. I felt I could do this by keeping his clothing relatively normal and within the time period while also changing his facial features to suit much more of robotic, superhero nature. I tried to keep the mohawk and logo elements by incorporating them into a metallic helmet feature and into the police badge respectively. 

Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Further Imaginary Skeletons

By taking another look at the imaginary skeleton ideas I already had I decided that it would be wise to start afresh. I did this by subverting the way I looked at creating these designs. Instead of starting with studying and researching ideas with line drawing, I instead used broad white strokes to mark out the basic skeletal structure first, adding line and detail afterwards. I think this was immediately more successful.

Monday, 10 December 2012

Imaginary Skeletons WIP

I really struggled with these pieces as I found it incredibly difficult to reference, research and ultimately draw the skeletal structure of all the creatures I designed here. Before now I have never had the chance the draw and study skeletons and while I found this a difficult task, I am glad that I managed to at least create something from the frustration I had with drawing something I have barely touched on previously.

Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Victorian Doctor's Bag Final

This is the culmination of studying the number of medical objects that would be found with a Victorian era doctor's bag. Once I had carefully recorded and composed a composition that worked I began by colouring and photo-texturing the piece.

Monday, 5 November 2012

Doctor's Bag Preliminary Sketches

For our next project within this module we were asked to spend time building a number of studies of a Victorian doctor's bag, including it's contents. From this we were tasked to then create and compose a piece using elements of the studies we had made to make up a fully rendered and detailed finished piece showcasing the bag and the items either inside or around it. Here shows the first set of black and white studies I composed for this project.

Tuesday, 30 October 2012

OMAC 50's Redesign 2 + Colour Variations

After feedback from the class I decided to take a better look into 1950's detective clothing. I enjoyed creating this even though I found it difficult to transpose the original ideas from the OMAC design. 

Monday, 29 October 2012

Omac 50's Redesign

After redesigning OMAC for the first time last week, I then decided to take the character into a completely new direction after feedback from the class. I felt it might be a good idea to take the character into a 1950's B movie detective look, something that lead on from the previous piece's over-the-top B movie look. 

Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Omac Redesign

After designing a number of rough concepts for my OMAC redesign I decided to take my last set of images further into a much more rendered and coloured piece. The goal of this task was to recreate OMAC as a modern day superhero, much like how characters such as Captain America and Thor have been redesigned for the recent Avengers movie. 

Friday, 19 October 2012

Brother Eye Initial Ideas

In addition to the redesign of the OMAC character we were also tasked to look into redesigning Brother Eye, OMAC's personal satellite that would beam information and coordinates to him from space. For this I tried to take a very modern look, taking inspiration from satellites of the modern day. 

Thursday, 18 October 2012

Omac Character Redesign Ideas

For my first project for this module we were tasked to redesign the DC Comics character OMAC into a much more modern day superhero design that could be seen in recent superhero movies, such as The Avengers. As this was the very first task we were given on the course here at Teesside, I felt that these were quite unsuccessful but I enjoyed the task of re-imagining the character and starting to tackle the ideas of character design.

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Nude Sketches

I found this first piece of work incredibly difficult and frustrating to complete as we were tasked to complete these drawings without the use of reference. Without this help and knowledge to draw from it really challenged me to think about how I already look at drawing the human figure.